Sunday, October 26, 2014

Armor Update 2014-10-26: Worbla Application Complete!

I finished the application of Worbla edging this afternoon, and as promised here are a few photos of the final work. Since I have previously posted pics of the simpler completed pieces, I won't re-post those, but below you can see the more complicated pieces that I saved for the end.

First, the breastplate, assembled from its component pieces. Three pieces for the front, and for the moment I just used my old standby, blue masking tape to hold them together. I need to get everything painted and finished, before I do the final attachments using rivets and leather straps.

Breastplate, assembled. Imagine it with silver metallic paint where you see black, and gold-metallic paint where you see tan.

Next, I took a few photos of the connected knee pieces, to show how it will look when the pieces are finally riveted together.

Front view.

Three-quarter side view.

Full side view. You can guess the scale of the knee protection by comparing it with the 2-liter Coke bottle holding it up.

Not much else to say today. I'm going to take the rest of the day off, and start testing my painting skills Monday or Tuesday evening. I'll post some more pics of the pain testing, to show you all what I have in mind for the final look. I will begin my testing on some scrap pieces, so that I don't risk ruining the costume itself.